Thursday, December 31, 2015

Year In Review 2015 - Financial Cash Flow

My first full year of the most comprehensive and detailed income/expenditures tracking finally completed!

*All figures exclude CPF, investment capital gains/losses (but include dividends).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Income VS Total Expenses

Expenses were pretty much stable except for the months where I made "major purchases", most notably a new mattress in February, Dividend Machine course in April, Langkawi trip in June, Samsung Galaxy S6 in August, Cameron Trip + S6 repairs in December. I also spent slightly more on minor indulgence stuff in December to 慰劳 myself a bit.

Income were highest in January and March from bonuses, and there's a minor National Day bonus in August. Can't wait for the upcoming one to top-up my war chest!

Other fluctuations in income are mostly due to dividends payout. Being my first year of investing, this will take some time to stabalize as I "lock down" on the stocks I have (receiving full year worth of dividends), and having each subsequent purchase make up less of my portfolio.

Overall, I managed to saved near 82% of my total income. My plan is to reinvest and inject at least 70% into my portfolio every year. Let's get the snowball rolling!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recurring Income VS Recurring Expenses


The chart strips out the noise and highlight only the "recurring" portion of my cashflow.

Recurring income include only salary + passive income, and excludes 'one-time' items like lottery winnings, angbaos, SAF allowance, bank special promotions, etc...

Recurring expenses remove all "major purchases" and "vacations".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recurring Expenses Breakdown

As expected, my top expenses are food, utilities, personal and travel. Other random discoveries:

- I spent about $12-$15 on average each month on lottery tickets. -.- So far, I only "won" $10 back. They are indeed a bad investment. Treat them purely as entertainment.

- Of all the entertainment expenses, about 50% of them comes from KTV sessions. LOL. Does it imply most of my entertainment come from singing, or is it because singing is the most expensive form of entertainment?

Food: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Supper, Snack, Groceries
Entertainment: Any form of entertainment expenses such as KTV, Video Games (e.g. Purchases from Steam), Movies, Sports, Etc
Gambling: Any Losses from Lottery, Mahjong, etc...
Healthcare: Doctor, Dentist
Household: Consumables (e.g. Stationary, Toiletries), Others (e.g. Pillow, Bedsheets)
Personal: Things that are consumed personally by me, such as Clothing (e.g. Head to Toes), Haircut, Personal Care (e.g. Toothpaste, Skincare, Grooming), Other (i.e Exercise Stuff, Army)
Social: Wedding, Social Functions
Tax: Income Tax
Travel: Public (e.g. EZ-Link Topup), Taxi
Treat: Non-personal expenses
Utilities: Telephone, Internet

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Road To Financial Independence

Passive income now cover almost 20% of my expense! Not bad for my first full year of investing!

I have exceeded my goal for 2015 by collecting more passive income. The short term negative impact though - it's like exchanging "capital losses" in the process.

Given the market correction (i.e Great Singapore Sale), I will selectively accumulate on weakness to further accelerate my yield next year. Goal next year is to generate 1 month salary from stock dividends.


No comments:

Post a Comment